I've told very few people about my diagnosis so far. There are a few reasons that I'm holding back.
1) I've only had one appointment with my neurologist so far and I don't have a lot of answers. When you tell people about a diagnosis they have a lot of questions, and at this point I won't know what to say.
2) I've only had one appointment with my neurologist so far and a piece of me really hopes that at my next appointment he says, "whoops, I was totally off the mark. You're fine!"
3) There's no cure. I'm not starting a fight that will eventually be over and we can all celebrate. This is something that I'm going to deal with forever (If #2 doesn't come true...). I feel like bringing other people into this situation creates a scenario where they can't do anything to help and are burdened with knowing about my MS.
4) I don't want to create pity parties for myself.
5) I don't want it to seem like I'm seeking attention. My symptoms are fairly minor so far. People can't tell by looking at me and so why bother telling them at all?
At this point MS is in my thoughts all the time. It seems to me that keeping this a secret is a lot more difficult than just letting people know. So I think that I will start to spread the news, slowly.
In other news, the foot numbness that I had for over a week seems to be gone. Now, if only my eye would function normally. If I could see properly after 9 weeks of blurriness maybe I would be able to think about something else for a change.
~MS. Diagnosed
No comments:
Post a Comment